YouTube is the world’s most popular video sharing platform. More than 1 billions hours are watched every single day all around the world. It’s no secret that YouTube has become a critical part of everyone’s lives. These days there is enough demand for converting the videos to downloadable videos in Mp4 format, to understand how to download YouTube videos mac. For mobile phones, YouTube has made a way to get videos which makes it easy for YouTube videos on Mac.
You may hate funny cat videos or game reviews, but the chances are you still use YouTube. A mammoth of video content, YouTube is a go-to spot for many. In fact, the platform has over 1 billion users which is one-third of all internet users. Huge.
Or, maybe your daily companions are Vimeo and Twitch. One way or another, video content is a part of your digital life. The question is how to utilize it.
In this article, we compare top YouTube downloaders for Mac and explain how you can legally save video to Mac to watch it anytime and anywhere.
Best YouTube downloaders
Get a huge set of top tools to download videos from Youtube. Most helpful utilities in one pack, give it a go!
Let us warn you in advance, all YouTube download tools reviewed in this article are worth a try. To help you narrow down the choice, check the nice-to-have assets every safe YouTube downloader should have:
- Works with all major video streaming platforms like YouTube, Vimeo, and Dailymotion.
- Allows to save mp4 content and, optionally, convert to different formats.
- Has support for audio output — allowing you to save music from videos.
- Downloads entire playlists or channels in batch.
- Caters for both professional and everyday use.
- Guarantees data security, not collecting any of your personal information.
For sure, these are not one-size-fits-all qualities. You may need to batch download playlists, or this might be a totally useless feature for you. We made sure the reviewed tools satisfy the key needs — like security and integration with video streaming platforms. The rest is up to you and your priorities.
It’s not easy to step into the jungle of video downloaders and instantly pick the right fit – impossible if you’re new to Mac. There’s help, though.
How to download from YouTube
Whether to capture a few movies for an upcoming flight or save favorite clips to rewatch, Mac owners love to save content. The most basic tool should teach you how to download YouTube videos directly from URL. The problem is that it’s complicated to find an efficient free YouTube downloader. Not to mention they could be used for copyright infringement.
To legally save content from YouTube and video streaming services to Mac, as well as download music from videos, you can use third-party apps. As long as you’re not earning money from downloads or breach copyright, they are safe to use.
Download streaming video
Streaming content is a huge chunk of your internet traffic. Think Vimeo, Twitch, YouTube, Dailymotion, and other platforms where you can watch video displayed in real time. Relying on online streaming stymies your watching experience in many ways – from limited data usage to network issues. Plus Wi-Fi often fails you at the most crucial moments. Therefore, you need a reliable tool that helps you capture YouTube video.
If you’re wondering how to watch favorite YouTube videos offline without breaking any laws, let us help you.
Download any videos from any website
Yes, you got it right. You can’t capture online videos to watch offline on Mac if you’re using YouTube Premium. To fill the gap and bring streaming content to a computer, you’ll have to consider third-party software.
Most of video downloaders differ only in terms of customization capabilities. The flow of capturing a video will be pretty much the same -- no matter what platform you take it from. It' s="" easy="" to="" use="" anytrans="" to="" download="" youtube="" videos="" or="" convert="" youtube="" to="" mp3="" in="" just="" 3="" simple="" steps:="">
- Choose the video and copy the URL (the app has in-build video search on YouTube/Vimeo/Dailymotion).
- Paste the link into the app and wait for the app to finish the download.
- Choose/customize the output format and storage location.
When using third-party tools, be careful about YouTube blocking downloads. If you comply with YouTube’s Terms of Service, you should be fine.
Download and save video from YouTube in mp4
Whether it’s native YouTube Premium or a third-party application, the tools you use to download mp4 from YouTube will by default save video files in mp4. There are different options on tweaking formats, though:
- Retrieve only audio from your video file — tools like Downie and Folx will work for it.
- Download video in mp4 with Elmedia Player.
- Use Downie + Permute to download and convert to different formats — from FLV to MKV to AVI. The two work well together and are both available with Setapp subscription.
- Customize the output before downloading and convert a poor-quality YouTube video to mp4 HD.
Grab YouTube video with YouTube Premium
Since recently, you can’t download YouTube video anymore. That’s because the service created a native tool for the job.
So if you ask YouTube for the best YouTube downloader, it will probably suggest you use YouTube Premium, a native paid subscription service to save content. For the monthly cost of $11.99, it allows you to keep YouTube videos on iPhone and Android devices. Here’s how it works:
- Open the video in your YouTube mobile app.
- Click on the download button below the video player.
- Customize the quality of the output.
- Once the video is downloaded, you’ll see the “download complete” icon below the player.
The app will automatically save YouTube videos you download to the Library or Account tab.
Top YouTube downloaders compared
Below you’ll find a small collection of best Youtube downloaders that we recommend you look into. Use the apps to play, manage, and automatically save videos.
Best of all, you can use the full toolkit of apps reviewed in this article for a flat fee. Have a look at the full collection. You’ll find extensive descriptions of every YouTube downloader below.
Multi-threaded and batch downloads
|Customize video quality / 4K and HD video support||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Convert video to audio and other formats||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Extract audio from video||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Download from YouTube, Vimeo, and any other websites||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|3D and 360 degree video support||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Built-in video and audio editing||yes||no||no||yes||no|
|Save to external storage, cloud, and other devices||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Totally free with Setapp subscription|
|Price||$14.99 for Standart License||$19.99 if purchased separately $26.99 Downie + Permute converter||$19.95 Folx Pro license||$19.95 Elmedia Player Pro license||$39.99 AnyTrans Single license|
|Pulltube||$14.99 for Standart License|
|Downie||$19.99 if purchased separately $26.99 Downie + Permute converter|
|Folx||$19.95 Folx Pro license|
|Elmedia Player||$19.95 Elmedia Player Pro license|
|AnyTrans||$39.99 AnyTrans Single license|
Downie: Save YouTube videos within seconds
The easiest version of a YouTube downloader you can imagine. Grab a link, drag it onto the app icon, wait a few seconds for the content to travel to your Mac.
While you don’t really do much, you can do even less with the browser extension. Downie already has it, so you don’t have to install the extension separately – check the box in your browser preferences and you’re good to go. Magically, Downie can also scan text files for links and download video content from there.
In other words, Downie is a media downloader that commits to cherishing your time. Here are the key ways to align the app with your workflow:
- Enable Simple mode to get rid of distractions in Preferences > General. Perfect for those who are annoyed by a progress bar showing up each time a download takes place.
- Downie is also a search machine. You can find YouTube videos on for download by searching right in the app, without opening a browser.
- If you love YouTube concerts and music videos, you can download audio only. To set Downie to the MP3 mode, open Preferences > Postprocessing > Enforce MP3.
This downloader automatically converts all videos to MP4, but if you need more options there’s Permute to help. It covers virtually all media formats and works both for video and audio. The app is basically Downie’s cousin, created by the same team of developers, Charlie Monroe Software. So you get a discount if you buy the two. Also, Downie and Permute are both available on Setapp.
- Simple and clean interface
- Customizable functionality
- 4K support
- Integrates with YouTube video converter
- Limited file conversion options
$19.99 if purchased separately
$26.99 Downie + Permute
Starting at $9.99 per month Downie, Permute and 150+ apps on Setapp
Play and download video content with Elmedia Player
Elmedia Player is one of the best tools to entrust your movie watching experience to. Not only does it tell you how to save videos from YouTube, it also enables viewing content ad-free, right from the app. Download audio, convert to different media formats, or stream via AirPlay – it solves tons of problems.
Not limitless, but the functionality is pretty impressive. It’s a good idea to work with Elmedia Player if you want to:
- Organize downloads and bring them into curated playlists.
- Play Vimeo, Dailymotion, and YouTube videos in the app, without downloading.
- Open and convert files to different formats – from MP3 TO MKV.
- Extract audio tracks from YouTube videos.
- Stream media content to all Apple devices that support AirPlay.
Compared to Apple’s native QuickTime, Elmedia Player supports a bigger number of formats and is generally a decent alternative to the default program.
- Intuitive interface
- Covers virtually all video and audio formats
- Streaming capabilities
Fleetwood Mac Youtube Videos Playlist
- Lots of features confusing for a beginner
$19.95 Elmedia Player Pro license
Starting at $9.99 per month Elmedia Player Pro and 150+ apps on Setapp
Swiftly download large videos with Folx app
There’s no better option than Folx if you’re big on big downloads. Combining the functionality of a download manager and torrent client, the app brings large videos to your Mac in a matter of minutes.
With your browser and Folx open, you can download any video from YouTube by URL. Once you have the URL, paste it directly into the search bar or click on the plus button > YouTube > paste the link. Give the app a few seconds to prepare a download, and click OK. Before you know it, the video is on your Mac.
The in-built torrent client that is available to Pro plan users works in a similar way – simple and lightning fast. Navigate to the Torrent tab via the plus button. In the top search field, click on the three dots to select a torrent file, customize default preferences if needed, and click OK.
To accelerate the process, Folx splits downloads in up to 20 streams. The app also cleverly adjusts download speed to your online activities, so that not to hamper important programs and processes running on your Mac. To tweak the default speed settings in Folx, access Preferences > Smart Speed.
How To Youku Videos Mac Pro
- Torrent search right in the app
- Speed optimization
- Download scheduling and auto-resume
- No free trial for Pro features
$19.95 Folx Pro license
Starting at $9.99 per month Folx and 150+ apps on Setapp
AnyTrans to download and transfer content
Many think of AnyTrans as an alternative to iTunes, but it’s much more than that. The app is an all-mighty file manager that works with all your devices. So whether you want to copy images from iPhone to Mac, or transfer from Android to iOS, AnyTrans has you covered.
Apart from cleverly managing your content, the app also helps you grab some new. Using an in-built Media Downloader, you can save video from 900+ websites, including Vimeo, Dailymotion, and YouTube.
Capturing and instantly sharing media is why you should pick AnyTrans over the other options. It has limited functionality in terms of download preferences, but is pretty good for capturing short videos.
- Clean and understandable interface
- Excellent file control
- Media transferring options
- Limitations in terms of integration with iTunes library.
$39.99 AnyTrans Single license
Starting at $9.99 per month AnyTrans and 150+ apps on Setapp Acpi ven int dev 3510.
It’s ok if you have a hard time choosing your favorite. Some of the apps complement each other – like you could use Folx to capture large videos and transfer with AnyTrans. With Setapp subscription, you can try every mentioned YouTube downloader for free and choose what suits your flow. Or, don’t choose. Your Mac deserves all of them.
Setapp lives on Mac. Come back when you've got a bigger screen handy.
Currently Mac-less? Here's how to prepare for all the awesome things you'll do with Setapp.Read on
It’s great to watch your favorite YouTube video over and over again. Whether it’s a funny short clip or a newly released album, we hit repeat at the end of the video when it is entertaining. However, tapping the repeat button after every round can be tedious. So, if you want to repeat your favorite clips automatically, let me show you how to loop a YouTube video on iPhone, iPad, Android, and Computer.
How to Loop a YouTube Video on iOS and Android
- Launch the YouTube app on your phone.
- Open your favorite video that you repeatedly watch.
- Tap the Add to Playlist icon on the top of the screen.
- From the options, choose +NEW PLAYLIST to create a new playlist.
- Give a name to the playlist by typing in the Title field.
- Tap CREATE to complete your playlist.
- Tap that Add to Playlist icon again and now,
- From the playlist list, choose the one you’ve created and then hit Done.
- Now to access the playlist, go to Library section in the bottom-right corner in the app.
- Select the playlist that you’ve created, and open the video you’ve added.
- Now tap on the drop-down arrow in the corner underneath the video screen.
- Finally, tap on the Repeat icon to loop that video on your phone.
You don’t need to hit the repeat icon every time after the video ends. It will be repeated automatically, and you’ll keep enjoying it.
Note: Just keep only one video in that playlist. Otherwise, if you add multiple, YouTube will play them in a series and keep playing the whole playlist repeatedly.
How to Loop a YouTube Video on Mac or Windows PC
If you tend to browse YouTube on big screens like a Mac or Windows PC, to loop your favorite video is easier than ever. To go ahead with it, we hope you’re browsing right now on your computer. If not, just turn it on and go through these simple steps.
- Launch your favorite browser and go to YouTube.com
- Open your favorite video.
- Right-click on the video screen and select Loop that appears first in the options.
The video will keep playing on your computer screen repeatedly.
Repeat a YouTube Video via Third-Party Apps
There are a few apps that we’ve discovered that can let you loop your favorite YouTube video on your phone and computer.
- Youtubeloop [A Website URL]
Sara Fleetwood Mac Video Youtube
We hope you keep enjoying your favorite video for so long from now onwards. If you love using YouTube on the iPhone, then you’d be glad to know that picture-in-picture mode is finally supported in iOS 14.
Also, you might want to read these quick guides!
I am an aspiring tech blogger who is always in love with new generation iPhones and iPads. At iGeeksBlog, I am dedicated to rendering the How-To's, Troubleshooting bugs, and reviewing apps that are a great deal of help. When I am not writing, I am daydreaming about the future of all things Apple and watching videos of smartphone battles on YouTube.